Membership – Join The Co-opJuly 10, 2020 2020-07-13 15:19
Membership – Join The Co-op
Join The Co-op
The Co-op is open to all shoppers, but the strength and health of a Co-op depends on a strong membership base. By joining the Co-op you bolster our local economy by supporting local producers, you help build strong community around shared goals, you increase access to healthy food choices, and you support a more resilient local food system.
Everyone is welcome to shop at the Potsdam Food Co-op, but member-ownership has benefits.
Benefits of Membership
- Taking part in the Co-op community by attending member events (like potlucks) and by being a working owner, both of which are great ways to meet new people
- The opportunity to shape the direction of the Co-op by serving on committees or the Board of Directors
- The option of earning a 10% or 20% discount on your purchases by working in the store (1 hour/month for each adult in the household for a 10% discount or 3 hours/week for 20%)
- A vote to choose the Board of Directors and a voice in the Co-op's decision making
- Access to the Buying Club, which gives discounts on bulk and special order purchases
- A 2% discount on all purchases
- A Member-Owner benefits card offering discounts at various area businesses
- Lower prices on monthly sales items
How To Become A Member-Owner
The annual membership fee is currently $25 per year for a household. That is $15 in annual dues and $10 toward your owner-share in the Co-op. After ten years as a Member-Owner, when your owner-investment equals $100, you only pay your annual $15 in dues. The equity share of your payments is fully refundable if you leave the area or decide for any reason to no longer be a member-owner of the Co-op.
Ask any staff member for a membership form. Fill out the form and give it to a cashier with your fee.
After your household information is processed, you will be given your Member-Owner card with a unique member ID number. In order to receive your discounts and Member-Owner sale prices your card must be scanned at the register at the time of purchase.